Thursday, April 16, 2020

Reading Reflection No. 3 (27A)

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams:

1) Within this book, Scott Adams introduces the book by saying it is supposed to be about him and his story of success from the point of view of his failures. Basically, how he succeeded through all his defeats and pushed on offering his audience the tips and ideas in order to succeed the same way he did. He uses pretty blunt phrases in order to grab his audiences attention such as his chapter titled, "Passion is Bullshit" in order to truly show how you have to throw out wishful thinking in order to truly succeed.

2) This book was actually perfect for this weeks assignment as we just had our assignment on failure and the need to embrace that failure in order to learn from it. Failure is a key way to success because it gives you opportunity to learn and change in order to eventually succeed. You cannot succeed without failure at some point.

3) This book has many different tips and hints as to why failure is necessary and how to deal with that failure so creating an assignment based on that would be one that asks students to create a list of failures, at least 10, and in response to these failures students would have to right how they overcame each of them along with how that helped them for something in the future, whether it did or didn't help them is okay but what did they learn from that experience. Reinforcing the ideals of the book along with pushing students to accept their failures and look at them in a new light.

4) I was really surprised at his overall bluntness and how frankly he put things, yet it was also really refreshing as it didn't feel like just some other motivational book full of nonsense but a true account from a person who has actually experienced what every entrepreneur will one day experience. It was so nice to hear how even when you feel like everything is going wrong that success could be just around the corner as long as you look for it and try to learn from your surroundings and those failures.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Skyler,

    Great job with the assignment! It sounds like you have learned a lot from this reading selection and you reflected that in a post that was both insightful and articulate. In particular, I liked how you made the connection between the book and another assignment from this week about failure, which really sold the relevance of the reading material to the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Skyler,
    I truly enjoyed reading your book review. It was very resourceful and I can tell that you really got a lot out of this assignment. I hope you take what you learned from this book and apply it to anything you can in real life. Overall, great work and I hope to read more of your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Skyler,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I thought it was really cool that you picked a book that matched up well with the failure assignment this week. I think it would be a great idea for students to make a list of failures in their life. I envision that this assignment would be similar to the bug list, which was an eye-opening assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Skyler,
    As soon as I read your first point for this post, I thought exactly of our other assignment for this week to discuss our failures. And it looks like you made the same connection as me. It seems like this reading reflection was really able to help you with the failure’s assignment, especially if you did the reflection before the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Skyler,

    This post was great to read as I wanted to know what other people thought about other books. This book just happened to be one of my options but, I opted for something else instead. I love how it speaks about his failures and him pushing just to reach the point of success. This acts as a motivational switch to help people reach their goal, despite the odds.

    ReplyDelete