Thursday, March 26, 2020

Napkin Notes Pt. 2

1) You. 
I am not special as of right now let's be honest. I am a college student at the University of Florida with basically no social capital, unless family friends count. However, I am someone who has a unique experience unlike any other and that can help me with my future pursuits. I am stubborn, hard working, and determined to make my goals happen. I am talented in very random things to be honest, I used to play a lot of different musical instruments and have played a lot of various sports none of which will really help me with my current endeavor but I have made lots of connections through those. In the future I want to be a PA and would like to work in the trauma department which means I will be analyzing and coming up with new ideas on the daily along with a desire to help others. If I were to start this business it would definitely have to be a side focus as it is not my main goal, however, I would put someone in charge in order to maintain both aspirations. 
2) What are you offering to customers?
I am offering students a new and improved transportation system in order to help them get to school on time along with offering the bus systems an opportunity for improvement and growth. I want to introduce a new navigational system within the current buses and pair that system with the already existing apps in order to maximize overall efficiency. 
3) Who are you offering it to?
I am offering this to the bus RTS system in order to fund the product however my customer really is the students who have the demand yet can't pay for it. Students ride the bus every day due to many different reasons whether that's overpriced alternatives or just the fact that they might not have cars. I believe my customer is someone who rides the bus out of obligation yet hates the overall experience. They are all people who are frustrated with the current situation that is the RTS system. 
4) Why do they care? 
The RTS organization would pay for this because it would improve overall ratings and also force their drivers to be more safe and allow them to get better reviews, improving their reputation and cash inflow as the ratings would have value behind them in order to make bus drivers want to drive more safely. Creating a reward system that costs them no money. 
5) What are your core competencies? 
After this semester, I have talked to several different people and got feedback on this idea with much appreciation for the concept. People see the value due to the fact that no alternatives have relieved the current need as no one wants to fix the bus system considering they know most people have no other option regardless of the quality of the bus system. This makes my system unique and appealing to both parties involved.
I believe these elements coincide with each other as they are all dependent on the other. You need to know who you are selling too and how you are going to make sure they care enough to purchase the product and that your product is actually meeting the need of those people. I think my product would due this of course there are somethings that are going to be difficult as I will have to convince the RTS people to care about the needs of others which as of right now is my biggest task. 
In my last napkin idea I only had one comment but they basically praised me for being honest about my lack of diversity at this point in my life and I continued that same pattern as it is very valid considering I am still so young with very few life experiences under my belt. However, they also complimented my idea and talked about their own negative experience with this same system I am trying to fix which goes to show my need even further. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Skyler,

    I enjoyed reading your post and it seems like you have really refined your napkin notes. I liked the fact that you brought up a lack of alternatives as a core competency, especially because of just how fundamental the RTS bus system is to UF students. I think your post was really thorough and outlined your business concept in an articulate and easy-to-comprehend manner. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Skylar,
    I really enjoyed reading your discussion post. It appears to me that you edited this wonderfully from when you previously did it. It is truly amazing seeing how much better ones work can become when given input from others. Overall, great discussion post and I hope to read more of yours in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Skyler:

    It's great you pointed out your opportunity not only assists students in getting to class on time, but also the bus system in bettering their current processes. Satisfying the needs of two target markets simultaneously gives your opportunity a competitive advantage. I agree, quality in service can tend to decrease when the service knows they are the only option . . . Perhaps the RTS system should consider an app like yours before better alternatives start entering the market and driving them out of business.

    ReplyDelete