1) In my segment, I chose people who ride on bus route 38 and ended up interviewing three different people as they were on their usual tracks to either work or school. This time I did the same, however, I put a little structure into it. I decided to just pick three different people who were riding in the morning time instead of interviewing people at various times of the day in order to get a more precise segment at the busiest time of day.
2) There are two alternatives, ride the bus and just hope the app is precise on timing or buy a parking pass. However, this segment is obviously one that excludes those who decide to just forego the bus altogether. I asked people, why not just buy a parking pass? What makes the bus still a better option for you? To which they responded mostly with the outrageous prices of the parking pass and the struggle that ensues when trying to park making the bus still a more feasible option. Price seemed to be a pretty large factor in this choosing considering the bus is a free option and the parking pass is roughly 160 for the year. Quality is less of a concern because even though the buses and the system in general is low quality they prefer it over the more expensive option. When I asked, "What are the most important factors in a good system of transportation?" One person responded by saying speed, cleanliness, and safety were the main three factors.
3) With my segment of people they are more likely to buy any goods online rather than in store due to the relative ease online shopping provides for newer generations and in order to purchase the alternative of the parking pass it is a lot easier to go online then having to go wait in a line at a office. However, when asking about my specific service being offered they would be more likely to finance this through school funding rather than paying for it in cash upfront this would be something that most students wouldn't want to pay for which is why they are not the main customer just the ones who have the highest need. The purchase decision would involve the school and the App Store who would create profit based off of uses, along with the bus system who would be the ones implementing an actual product.
4) What matters most with the alternative of the parking pass purchase is that those students will actually be able to find a spot relatively close to those classes which is very rare. The thing that matters most to them seems to be the amount of use they would be able to get out of that large investment. If it isn't a 20 minute walk to class and a struggle to find a parking spot in all designated lots then they would be more likely to say it was a good purchase yet this seems to rarely be the case with this alternative that also needs to be reconsidered.
5) Interview #1: With a student from the College of Dentistry who I have seen on the route a few times.
We discussed the different faults of the current bus system while going through their reasoning while still choosing to ride the faulty bus instead of just driving, biking, or buying a scooter. He said that it was more convenient for him because they aren't allowed to park at UF Health as students so he would have to pay for parking on top of the gas and everything else that comes along with driving and walking just isn't an option because it is too far.
Interview #2: A third year ecology student who was on their way to the first class of the day
Discussed similar details as the first interview to which she agreed that for her the bus was still the best option yet still caused her issues on multiple occasions. Not to mention the fact that she also has work that this sometimes interferes with as well. We even discussed her potential ideas as to what could be done to help the matter but she came up with the alternative of carpooling that I had not thought of before.
Interview #3: A freshman business student who actually utilizes one of the alternatives
We started discussing the different alternatives as I did with the other two and he actually mentioned how he has a parking pass but it is too hard to park in the morning with far too many spots so he will ride the bus to school and then in one of his gaps go back home to get his car so he can also stay late into the night while studying. This shows the need so perfectly, this man is having to go through all these extra hoops just to get to class. I experienced this same thing over summer how I had to go back just to get my car because busses don't run late, so we talked about that. I also discussed the outrageous costs and what he thought should be done in order to fix this issue.
6) The alternates are not very good as of now and will provide little competition as they are currently causing a lot of issues themselves. Purchase decision is a hard one because a lot of people aren't willing to spend money and this would need to be something that is free to students which means I would have to make someone care about the needs of others or at least be aware of those needs. Post-purchases of these passes seems to be regret and annoyance with this system as it has failed them again and again. This segment of people is hard because they are cheap with large demands.
Hi Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I agree that students can have large demands but with limited financial resources. The RTS system definitely needs some kind of alternative to meet these unfilled needs of students. I also agree that even when a student finds a spot on campus it is usually far away from their class or housing. Overall, a detailed and effective post.
Hey Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that us, students, need alternatives to be able to get to the university hassle-free. There are many faults within the RTS systems, and I like to think that the university does have some ideas in mind to further improve it and/or find more alternatives to all students. Thanks for the post, it was a great read.
Hi Skyler,
ReplyDeleteGreat post, I think you really fleshed out the alternatives you listed and narrowed down buyer frustration. However, I do think you could have possibly included a substantially more quantitative list of alternatives, instead of just a single option. For instance, you could have mentioned walking to class, using a bike or rideshare apps as other possible alternatives for those dissatisfied with the RTS bus system. Still a nice post; good work!
Hey Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your discussion post. You listed your alternatives correctly and did a fantastic job of identifying them. It would have been ideal to list more than one alternative, but you still did a great job. Overall, this was a very interesting post and I hope to read more of yours in the future.