When I was accepted into the University of Florida I got into the Innovation Academy where students from different majors are brought together and take courses for what is known as an innovation minor. This past semester I was enrolled in one of those classes where our end project is this huge competition known as Catalyst where we are presented with a problem and then put into different teams in order to innovate a solution for that problem. Ours was based on childhood development and my group came up with a pretty cool innovation known as Elite which used basic colors in order to help students identify their emotions and start their journey on emotional independence. We were forced to come up with idea, create a prototype (that had to be fully functional) and then pitch it to about nine different judges. It was one of the most intimidating things I have ever done but my group actually ended up winning one of the prizes known as the "Best Idea Award" which was so satisfying considering all of our hard work. I took this class to further my knowledge in entrepreneurship and because this past semester taught me that problem solving is definitely something I am passionate about and that I can definitely use in my future career and life in general.
 |
Here is a picture of the device my team and I hand-crafted! We had to 3D print and create a computer code along with lots of other things in order to complete it but it was definitely a fun process!
|
 |
Here is the IA Logo just in case you didn't know what it looked like already.
|
Finally, an image of the award my group and I won! Along with some cool stickers one of my teammates designed
|
Hey Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI love how you were able to use a system in which, helping kids with their emotions caused you to broaden your horizons and think beyond. It taught you how to problem solve, and now you are choosing that same trait as a tool to succeed in entrepreneurship. I can truly say that your story is an inspiration and pushes me to think about, why I truly chose this class.
Hi Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that the Innovation Academy at UF is a great environment to cultivate entrepreneurs. My sister graduated from the Innovation Academy at UF and she always talked about the new ideas and products that she and her classmates would come up with. I admire that you put in a lot of work for your project, and it looks like a very innovative idea.
Hi Skyler,
ReplyDeleteYour post was such a unique and insightful story, that really conveyed your innovative qualities. That prototype device looks so cool and more than deserving of the award bestowed to you and your team for it. In my opinion, a great entrepreneur is able to blend conceptual ideas and practical experience into a cohesive whole, and your story demonstrates just that. Impressive story Skyler!
Hey Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! I found it neat how you tied in your experience with the UF Innovation Academy with this assignment. It was very inspiring how you came up with the courage in order to present to the judges. Overall, great post and I hope to read more of your blogs soon!