1. When bus 38 is packed and there are no seats so everyone has to stand.
-Why: There are too many students and not enough buses.
2. When the gym at my apartment is packed and I have to wait for machines.
-Why: There are not enough machines in the gym because the gym is really small.
3. When my nail polish chips on the first day.
-Why: The nail polish is cheap and not made to last.
4. When I forget to change my AirPods and they die while I am on the bus.
-Why: Not enough outlets to plug all of my devices into or the fact that the battery is short on the AirPods.
5. When I have to carry my textbook in my backpack.
-Why: Not all of the textbooks are online.
6. When my white shoes get dirty.
-Why: White shows more impurities and there is no real solution to protecting them.
7. When my water bottle drops and makes a really loud noise and everyone turns towards me.
-Why: There needs to be a rubber protector that fits over it so it won't hit the water bottle on impact.
8. When I forget a word in Spanish and get stuck in class.
-Why: There are a lot of words and I need to practice more.
9. When the scanner gets jammed at work.
-Why: Too many people are trying to use it at once.
10. When my mom calls me and I am in class even though she knows my schedule.
-Why: She doesn't have access to my schedule at all times.
11. When I am on the phone with my boyfriend and he is smacking his food.
-Why: The phone increases the volume of background noises and makes it more noticeable.
12. When people merge into my lane and I have to slam on the breaks.
-Why: Cars have really large blind spots and make it hard to see everything around you.
13. When people are loud on the bus and talk on the phone.
-Why: There are a lot of noises on the bus and lack of respect or rules in place to keep people in check.
14. When restaurants serve seafood and I have to smell it.
-Why: Seafood has a really distinct smell and lingers.
15. When people spell my name with an "a" instead of an "e".
-Why: People jump to assumptions instead of just asking.
16. When people are overly loud in Newell Hall while I am studying.
-Why: Lack of discipline and rules in place to keep people from continuing to be loud.
17. When there is a long line for the microwave.
-Why: Not enough microwaves on campus.
18. When my roommates leave piles of trash instead of taking it out.
-Why: No rules were ever established upon moving in.
19. When my roommates don't wash their dishes.
-Why: No rules were ever established and they don't care about the mess.
20. When my roommates play music really loud.
-Why: No rules were ever established and they don't care about their future ability to hear.
Reflection: I found it easy to come up with a list but it was harder to figure out the problem/ route of the issues I have with those personally and then translate it to what is fundamentally wrong with that thing. This definitely helped me grasp an understanding towards the things that irritate me and made me more aware of what I might do to irritate those around me. I love this way of critically thinking and analyzing the little issues that surround us on a day to day it could definitely be useful in entrepreneurship and understanding the world in general.
Hi Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job outlining your list of grievances in a detailed and relatable manner. In particular, the roommate bugs I resonated with strongly, as some of my roommates refuse to use headphones and have very different ideas on good kitchen etiquette.
I agree with your point that finding 20 things that bug us was not the issue, but rather understanding why these problems occur, was a bit more challenging. Nice post!
Hey Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that coming up with the route of the issues with the things that bug you was the more challenging aspect of the assignment. I also loved your point when you said it helped you understand more about the things that irritate you. I also saw we shared common points in things that bug us such as when music is played too loud! Great post and I hope to read more of yours soon!
Andres
Hi Skyler,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the “bugs” in this assignment are relatively easy to come up with but the reasoning behind them is sometimes hard to put into words. It seemed that a lot of your bugs revolved around being messy/ not organized. This is something that “bugs” me too, as I think a messy environment is a precursor to bad events.