Friday, February 14, 2020

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2 (9A)

Testing the Hypothesis:

Who: After discussing this idea with more individuals, I realized there are apps out there that definitely could be seen as competition yet they don't work as well as they should and are not reliable sources. Which is why I am not making an app, I have decided to create a new GPS system to be paired with these preexisting apps in order to make them more efficient and the bus system in general more efficient.

What: This differs in other in the fact that these apps are based on calculations and estimations rather than actual geographical locations and don't account for traffic, collisions, or breaks that the bus drivers themselves take. With the addition of the locational factor there will be no question as to where any bus is at any given time and will increase the overall views on apps increasing revenue.

Why: I do see a common ground between those in the boundaries and those outside of it due to the fact that I talked to professors who agreed they would rather their students not walk into the middle of class out of breath causing a discussion due to bus issues, even those these individuals might not lie within the boundary they see the desire and need for an improvement.

Inside the Boundary:
Who: Students who use bus transport and other riders who want to arrive safely and on time.
What: An improvement in the current RTS system that has failed for so long.
Why: The apps that currently exist are not connected with any gps systems and are based on estimations that are almost always incorrect.

Outside the Boundary:
Who: Students who drive or walk to school and other civilians whose main source of transportation is not the bus system.
What: The need is not for a new app that will ultimately just fail or a new bus system altogether, the need is for the improvement of the preexisting one.
Alternative Explanations: Buses are off track due to lags within the app itself, drivers taking too many breaks, traffic, an excess of students on the buses.

Summary: I realize there will always be factors that are uncontrollable, collisions and traffic, however, with todays technology they are definitely accessible. It is better to be aware of when we need to leave earlier before we are regretting it while stuck in traffic. However, there will always be limitations as there already is with the customers who will be affected considering there is still a good percent of students who drive to school or just walk due to proximity.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Skyler:

    I agree, there are already apps out there that would be direct competition for an app you may have wanted to create originally. However, I think it was very entrepreneurial of you to take a step back and re-evaluate your idea. I like how you took what would have been your direct competition and turned them into your opportunity! Improving upon an already existing app could prove to be a very successful business venture, but it would require a lot of pre-work to understand how the app already works and the technology behind it. I definitely believe you're onto something, as I know these apps do have their fair share of issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Skyler,

    There are several apps out in the blue that would pose a threat and/or competition to your business. However, with that being said, the way you are approaching it screams "success" to me. You are taking the other apps to build a solid foundation and expanding upon their ideas with your own to create a new app, that is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Skyler,
    This was a great post and I really enjoyed reading it. I too cannot stand when the bus is not on time and it is comforting knowing there are many other students who have the same issue. Seeing different perspectives from people outside the boundary was also insightful. Overall, great work and I hope to read more of your posts soon!

    ReplyDelete